St John’s RC Primary School is committed to meeting the requirements of the new primary curriculum. Our Catholic faith is at the heart of everything we do. We teach RE lessons to learn about religion and find out what we can learn from religion in the way we live and treat each other.
We have updated our schemes of work to reflect the content and challenges of the new curriculum. Teachers have received training in the key areas of curriculum change and we are ready to provide outstanding curriculum provision.
The curriculum will be taught with the consideration of the needs of all learners. Our curriculum will be exciting and will inspire children to nurture a passion for learning.
The school will continue to work on tailoring the new curriculum to the successful skills-based curriculum that we currently use. As an added resource our school is using the published scheme called ‘The Learning Challenge’ to help develop our personalised curriculum. This approach seeks to stimulate our pupils’ imagination and curiosity by stimulating questions which naturally arise out of their learning.
Our school, whilst delivering the statutory content of the National Curriculum, will plan a thematic approach to learning and many of the topics will change regularly to excite and stimulate the children. Our curriculum will ensure that children make progress with their learning as they move through the school.
We aim for our children to:
- Develop inquisitive minds, a spirit of curiosity and a passion for learning
- Be equipped with the skills to fully participate in an ever changing world
- Be respectful and productive members of the community
- Have high expectations and self-belief to enable them to fulfil their potential
- Reflect on their learning and seek to extend themselves mentally, physically and spiritually
- Uphold the Catholic ethos of the school whilst respecting their own cultures and beliefs and those of other people
- Persevere and learn from their mistakes
- Develop an understanding and respect for the environment and God’s creation
- Have the courage and confidence to take calculated risks.
This is the philosophy of how we want to work and learn. These aims underpin all of the learning that takes place in our school. The five outcomes of Every Child Matters: Being Health, Staying Safe, Enjoy and Achieve, Economic Well Being and Making a Positive Contribution are reflected in the policies and procedures of the school.
At St John’s, we use Read, Write, Inc and Letter and Sounds for the teaching of phonics.
Oxford Reading Tree is our main reading scheme, which are supplemented by books from other schemes.
Please contact the school office if you require any further information about our curriculum in school.
Below are links to the curriculum overviews for each year group for 2016-17 and curriculum policies
Curriculum Long Term Overviews
- Computing Policy 2017
- Handwriting Policy
- Maths Calculation Policy
- PE Sept 2017
- RE Policy
- Reading Policy
- Science Policy 2017
- Spelling Policy
- St Johns RCP Visual Fractions Policy
- The Learning Challenge Curriculum Policy
- Writing, Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar